Learn how to facilitate Close Reading, which productively engages learners in digging into texts for deeper understanding.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ELA and/or content area teachers who want to help their students deeply engage with and get more out of text
- ELA/content teachers at any level of general experience who wish to learn Close Reading techniques and explore Text-Dependent Questions (if you are not entirely sure what those phrases mean, this course is for you!)
The College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) for Adult Education, Reading Anchor One, states:
"Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text."
How do we fulfill the expectations of the CCRS with struggling readers, advanced readers and everyone in-between? Close Reading can be extremely engaging, productive and confidence-boosting for the struggling reader and the experience reader alike.
Follow-up will be provided for implementation guidance.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Learn the close reading process and text-dependent questioning as aligned in the standards
- Learn strategies for helping students gather evidence, knowledge and insight from what they read
- Integrate appropriate scaffolds to enable all students to access complex text
- Learn to write text-dependent questions for both narrative and expository genres, and how to provide students with entry-points through discourse, visual media, and annotation
- Plan to apply close reading strategies and text-dependent questioning into upcoming lessons
- Experience a close reading lesson with understanding to classroom applications
Please view this 19-minute video introducing the CCR Standards for ELA http://www.sabes.org/content/introduction-college-and-career-readiness-ccr-standards-ela-narrated-19-min
We also STRONGLY recommend that you first complete the three-hour online course The Recipe for Success: The CCR Standards and Instructional Shifts for ELA. This online course is offered the first Tuesday of each month except for December.