Gain a practical understanding of the vital role that Building Knowledge (one of the College and career Readiness Standards for Adult Education [CCRSAE] instructional shifts) plays in reading comprehension, through one face-to-face session and two online sessions.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ELA teachers of students who read at GLE 9-12
Evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) is a set of practices for teaching the four essential components of reading (alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension) that research has proven to increase the reading achievement of adult learners.
This three-part professional development (PD) offering focuses on comprehension and vocabulary:
- Part 1 (face-to-face, 5 PD hours): Hear about and experience why building knowledge and attending to the development of academic (Tier 2) vocabulary plays a vital role in reading comprehension success. Leave with concrete next steps to implement in your classroom.
- Parts 2 and 3 (online, 2 PD hours each): Learn about further concrete steps and discuss the strategies and practices you have implemented, sharing your successes, challenges, and lingering questions with your colleagues in the course.
Note: Completion of all three parts is required in order to earn any PD hours.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Explain the role of vocabulary and knowledge in preparing students for college and careers
- Access a variety of instruction and materials that will engage learners and support their intentional vocabulary and knowledge building
- Plan to implement direct and explicit instruction, using the most relevant EBRI techniques suited to the specific levels of instruction for advanced-level students to strengthen their knowledge of vocabulary across content areas
- Discuss strategies to continually gauge the effectiveness of your instruction by formatively assessing and monitoring your students' progress
- Required: Overview of Evidence-Based Reading Instruction and Diagnostic Assessment of Reading. Current dates and registration information are at the ELA PD Events page.
- Recommended: The Recipe for Success: The CCRSAE and Instructional Shifts for ELA.
- As with all ELA PD, you may find it useful to view this 19-minute video introducing the CCRSAE for ELA.