The SABES PD Center for ESOL is excited to be offering a variety of PD opportunities this fall.
In response to requests from the field, Lynne Weintraub, author of the textbook series Citizenship: Passing the Test and national presenter on EL civics and online ESOL resources, will be offering the workshop Citizenship: What Teachers Need to Know about the Naturalization Process and Test to Ensure that Students Succeed. While the workshop is designed mainly around the needs of ESOL teachers, ABE teachers who work with immigrant students might also benefit from knowing how the naturalization process works and how to answer students’ questions about it. This workshop will be offered on November 4 in Devens. Additional details and registration is available at http://sabes.org/event/1461.
The SABES PD Center for ESOL will be assisting programs with their curriculum development in a variety of ways this fall:
- Workshops on ESOL scope and sequence, unit planning, and lesson planning will be offered several times throughout the coming year and throughout the state.
- A team of curriculum coaches is reviewing and providing feedback to individual programs on the curriculum materials they have submitted, as well as coaching those programs that request it. Many programs have opted to submit their materials, and we encourage all programs to do so and take advantage of the helpful feedback, support, and guidance the PD Center is able to provide.
In addition to the above:
- We will continue to offer workshops throughout the year on all of the MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL: Principles of Second Language Acquisition, Components of Language, Intercultural Awareness, Curriculum and Instructional Design, Instructional Delivery and Classroom Management, and Assessment.
- You will see more offerings this fall for the Second Language Acquisition workshop, as we are strongly recommending that everyone take this before taking any of the others.
- We are developing a hybrid version of the Second Language Acquisition workshop to make it more accessible to more people. Look for it being piloted this fall.
- The online Introduction to the ESOL Professional Standards is currently being revised and will be available by the end of September.
Did you miss our workshops last week on Differentiated Instruction for Mixed Level ESOL Classes led by Robin Lovrien, PhD, MSp Ed, researcher, trainer, coach, presenter, author, and ESOL teacher? Robin's sessions focused on the use of games, learning centers, and other inclusive, hands-on techniques for learners at all levels. If you are interested in this workshop, let the SABES PD Center for ESOL know, and we may offer it again in the spring.
For more information about these offerings, go to the SABES website and calendar. For more information about curriculum coaching, or if you have any questions, contact Dori McCormack, Director of the SABES PD Center for ESOL, at 413-552-2393 or email@example.com.