What’s this all about?
World Education, Inc. is coordinating a consortium of adult literacy programs and organizations to participate in the national Adult Literacy XPRIZE Communities Competition, designed to “tackle the problem of adult low-literacy by putting free learning tools in the hands of those who need them the most, so learning can happen anytime, anywhere.”
Funded by the Barbara Bush Literacy Foundation and Dollar General, XPRIZE will select and provide up to three new adult literacy apps to be used in the communities competition. These apps are designed for native English-speaking and English language learner adults who are at beginning-intermediate levels and have access to android phones. If selected, organizations on World Education’s team will be asked to promote the use of these apps during the period of actual competition, from April through August 2019. However, all adult learners who participate will continue to have free access to the apps through August 2020.
- Get accessible, new learning tools into the hands of adults who need them, free of charge for one entire year.
- Use this as an opportunity to integrate apps into instruction, tutoring, and client support.
- XPRIZE will award a financial prize to the team that gets the most people to download the app and use it on at least three separate days. If World Education’s team wins one of the prizes, it will be shared with participating organizations.
What to do next?
- ACLS is supporting this effort and encourages programs to participate. For more details, see the team’s World Education Adult Literacy XPRIZE Communities Competition flyer.
- If you have questions, please contact Silja Kallenbach at email@example.com.
- If you want to join this adventure, please sign-up HERE to join the World Education Team.