This message is brought to you jointly by the three Curriculum & Instruction PD Centers for Math, ELA, and ESOL.
Are you using standards-aligned curriculum?
ACLS Curriculum Policy states:
Programs offering ABE instruction in mathematics and English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) and programs offering ESOL instruction "are required to use curriculum aligned to the CCRSAE by June 30, 2019."
ABE and ESOL curriculum and instruction "are required to reflect the instructional shifts and align with the CCRSAE levels A through D-E.”
According to the Glossary of Education Reform, curriculum "typically refers to the knowledge and skills students are expected to learn, which includes the learning standards they are expected to meet; the units and lessons that teachers teach; the assignments and projects given to students; the books, materials, videos, presentations and readings used in a course; and the tests, assessments, and other methods used to evaluate student learning."
ACLS has reduced requirements and increased flexibility in exchange for an increased emphasis on outcomes. So you have the flexibility to create curriculum for your program, wisely choosing components, formats, and topics that will best suit your students and your program structure. You have the flexibility to decide how to provide effective, high-quality instruction that will enable your learners to achieve outcomes. Resources are available through ACLS and SABES for designing high-quality standards-aligned curricula and supporting high-quality standards-aligned instruction.
- Review your curricula for standards-alignment
- Ensure that teachers and directors understand the CCRSAE and instructional shifts
- Support teachers in actively incorporating the CCRSAE and instructional shifts into classes
Wherever you are in the process for implementing standards-aligned curriculum and instruction, the Curriculum & Instruction PD Centers will support you.
- Take part in PD for creating, revising, and translating standards-aligned curriculum into instruction
- Find curriculum examples and other resources
- Work with a curriculum coach
- Review your curriculum with us (resources and time permitting; please don't wait till May)
Who're You Gonna Call?
Math: Donna Curry, 207-882-7156
ELA: Merilee Freeman, 508-854-4296
ESOL: Dori McCormack, 508-854-4514