We are sad to announce that John Strucker, long-time subject matter expert for SABES, has passed away. Read about John's remarkable life in this obituary.
John's expertise and funds of knowledge and experience were broad and deep, and his good nature made him a delight to work with. We always learned something new.
He was so unassuming that it was easy to forget he was a national expert, and in fact had co-authored some of the research resources posted on our website. John also wrote, and then updated, this highly useful resource just for us: A Teacher’s Guide to the CCRSAE for Level A and Level B Adult Learners.
Some of the many PD sessions and courses that John created and facilitated over the years included:
- Teaching Vocabulary to ABE and ESOL Learners
- How to Use Online Readability Tools to Improve Instruction
- Selecting Appropriate Texts
- Formative Assessment in ABE ELA Classes
- EBRI: Diagnostic Assessments of Reading
- Remotely Administer Diagnostic Reading Assessments
John often presented at MCAE, including this past spring.
Thank you, John. You made a lasting impact on the adult education field and will be missed.