In this webinar, two CLAS-E Writing Scoring trainers will provide an overview of the materials needed for scoring, go over the answers for a selection of items from the Spring 2019 Refresher Packet, and answer participants’ questions about recertification and scoring.
The goal of this webinar is to help test administrators prepare for a successful recertification season.
- Participants cannot access the webinar from the SABES website. Upon registering, you will receive a separate email with instructions on how to join the webinar.
- Practitioners who became initially certified as CLAS-E Writing scorers in FY2019 (between July 1, 2018 and now) will only need to recertify in Spring 2020.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- MA practitioners from DESE-funded programs preparing for annual recertification as CLAS-E Writing scorers.
To ensure scoring accuracy statewide, CLAS-E Writing scorers should recertify every year by:
- Completing the TABE CLAS-E Writing Scoring Refresher Packet (recommended)
- Completing the TABE CLAS-E Writing Scoring Recertification Test (required)
ACLS and the UMass-Amherst Center for Educational Assessment strongly encourage CLAS-E Writing scores to complete the Refresher Packet in preparation for the recertification test. The Refresher Packet will be sent to Program Directors and all individuals registered for this webinar on January 2nd.
The Refresher Packet contains 20 questions from last year's recertification test. CLAS-E Writing scorers may use these to conduct a Scoring Refresher session. They may take the "practice test" individually or as a group to test themselves using the 20 sample questions, and check their answers using the scoring rationale included at the end of the Refresher Packet.
In the webinar, two experienced trainers will provide an overview of the main CLAS-E Writing scoring materials, share their scoring rationale for a selection of items from the Refresher Packet (the “practice test”), and answer questions about scoring and recertification.
Practitioners are encouraged to complete the Refresher Packet BEFORE the webinar and submit any scoring or recertification questions they have ahead of time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Webinar question.” It will also be possible to ask questions during the webinar using a built-in chat feature.
This year, the window to complete the CLAS-E Writing Scoring recertification process will be from February 1 to March 29.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Understand the steps required for CLAS-E Writing Scoring recertification
- Know where to find CLAS-E Writing Scoring resources
- Obtain answers to your questions about CLAS-E Writing recertification and scoring
There are no mandatory prerequisites. As stated above, we recommend that participants complete the Refresher Packet before this webinar and send any questions they would like the presenters to address to email@example.com using the subject line “Webinar question.”