In this online training available 24/7, you will learn how to administer the writing component of the Tests of Adult Basic Education Complete Language Assessment System–English (TABE CLAS-E). You will also learn how to score the multiple-choice portion of the assessment. To be certified to fully score the CLAS-E Writing, you must attend a face-to-face CLAS-E Writing Scoring training after completing this online training.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Practitioners from ACLS-funded programs who require training to accurately administer the TABE CLAS-E Writing
This five-module online training takes approximately one hour and a half to complete and is a prerequisite for attending the face-to-face CLAS-E Writing Scoring Training. For each module, you will read some information relating to one aspect of the CLAS-E Writing. The five modules are as follows:
- Module 1: CLAS-E Writing Overview
- Module 2: What to Do Before Administering the CLAS-E Writing
- Module 3: Administering the Locator Interview and Locator Test for First-Time Test Takers
- Module 4: Administering and Scoring the Multiple-Choice Portion of the CLAS-E Writing Test
- Module 5: Administering the Expository Writing Portion of the CLAS-E Writing Test
To register for and complete the CLAS-E Writing online training, visit this link: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1AmbBEN8y9AI85v
When you have completed all modules, you will be certified to administer the CLAS-E Writing, and a confirmation page will load. You will also receive an email confirmation that you have completed the training, which you can keep for your records and forward to your program director as needed. ACLS and the Center for Educational Assessment at UMass-Amherst will automatically receive notification that you completed the training, so you will not need to contact either organization. Please note that you must attend the face-to-face CLAS-E Writing Scoring Training to become certified to fully score the CLAS-E Writing.
For help with online registration, contact the University of Massachusetts Center for Educational Assessment at email@example.com or call 413-545-1184.
ACLS recommends that programs maintain at least two certified test administrators for each test the program administers.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Describe the purpose and components of the TABE CLAS-E Writing assessment
- Administer, score, and interpret the CLAS-E Locator to determine the correct CLAS-E Writing level to administer to a student
- Administer the TABE CLAS-E Writing (multiple-choice and expository writing portions)
- Score the multiple-choice portion of the TABE CLAS-E Writing assessment
Assessment Basics webinar: This webinar-based training consists of two videos followed by questions. The first video describes what assessment is, how assessment fits into curriculum and instruction, and how to interpret different types of test scores. The second video explains what assessments are required in Massachusetts for NRS reporting purposes and provides an overview of the ACLS assessment policies. Assessment Basics is available 24/7 and takes 30-40 minutes to complete.
You must complete this webinar before starting the CLAS-E Writing Administration online training.