*** This training has been postponed. A new date will be announced as soon as possible. ***
The BEST Plus 2.0 six and one half hour training is the first of three steps to become certified to administer the BEST Plus 2.0 test.
The other two steps, which must be completed within 3 weeks of the training, are to:
- Complete 10 practice test administrations
- Pass a Scoring Activity using the DVD in the BEST Plus Scoring Refresher Toolkit
Participants must arrive on time and attend the entire session.
Lunch is scheduled for 30 minutes. Please bring your own.
There is an online prerequisite for this training. See below for more information.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ACLS-funded practitioners who need to be trained as BEST Plus 2.0 test administrators
The BEST Plus 2.0 training is the first step in the process to become certified to administer the BEST Plus 2.0 test. Within three weeks after the training, the following two steps must be completed:
- Trainees must practice administering the test with a minimum of five non-native speakers plus five other individuals that may include non-native speakers. These practice tests may not be administered as pre- or post-assessments. To access these tests, trainees must use the BEST Plus 2.0 software provided by their program site.
- Trainees must also complete a scoring activity using software provided by their program site.
You are encouraged to speak with your program director or ESOL coordinator prior to registering.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of assessing students' language abilities
- Administer and score the Best Plus 2.0 computer-adaptive oral interview
- Run the Best Plus 2.0 Test Administration Program
- Interpret Best Plus 2.0 scores
- English fluency level of SPL 9 or above
- Experience and comfort interacting with non-native English speakers
- Basic comfort level with computers
- Completion of an Assessment Basics webinar
Practitioners MUST complete the online Assessment Basics webinar prior to attending the BEST Plus 2.0 training. This online webinar-based training takes 30-40 minutes and consists of two videos followed by questions. The first video describes what assessment is, how assessment fits into curriculum and instruction, and how to interpret different types of test scores. The second video explains what assessments are required in Massachusetts for NRS reporting purposes and provides an overview of the ACLS assessment policies.