Most classes are not formed according to students' computer mastery, so what's a teacher to do to integrate educational (and fun) computer activities into a multilevel class without dread? This self-paced, lightly facilitated online course will offer a number of approaches that can work with a variety of subjects at any level. You will leave with an activity to use with your students.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ABE and ESOL teachers and tutors
This self-paced, lightly facilitated course covers three approaches, and includes ideas for managing your class:
- Whole class with one computer
- Student pairs and small groups
- Individual students
The course is 6 professional development hours. In addition to the 6 hours, participants are required to draft a plan that makes use of one idea from the course to implement with students. The course will run two weeks.
CCR Standards anchor standards addressed:
Writing anchor 6: Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others.
- Reading anchor 7: Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
- Language anchor 4: Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases by using context clues, analyzing meaningful word parts, and consulting general and specialized reference materials, as appropriate. [Includes electronic dictionaries , thesauri, and glossaries]
- Mathematics Practice Standard 4: Model with mathematics
- Mathematics Practice Standard 5: Use appropriate tools strategically
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Describe rationales and approaches for using computers as a whole class, in pairs and small groups, and individually
- Draft an activity to implement with students
Have access to the Internet in order to connect to the course.