This training is a four-part series to begin to develop instructional units as part of an overall ABE math curriculum.
NOTE: Teachers must commit to all four sessions.
This course is a four-part series to begin to develop instructional units as part of an overall unified ABE math curriculum. Because this training builds from session to session, we strongly urge participants attend all four sessions. We will use Wiggins and McTighe's Understanding by Design (UbD) model to develop at least one instructional unit for math based on the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education. Program teams will be expected to bring their own draft scope and sequences (these will be reviewed during the training) from which instructional units will be drafted. Programs are encouraged to bring teams, including teachers and directors.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Use the CCR Standards in designing units of instruction.
- Determine whether classroom materials are aligned with the CCR Standards.
- Evaluate lessons vis-à-vis the CCR Standards, and tweak them as necessary to align with the Standards.
- Build standards into existing curricular units.
- Develop an overview of the key topics to include in a scope and sequence.