This brief webinar is the first step on your evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) journey, providing an introduction and overview of EBRI. It is a prerequisite for all other EBRI offerings.
NOTE: Previous completion of or current enrollment in STAR trainings fulfills this requirement.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- All ABE practitioners and staff who wish to use or better understand EBRI
This webinar, the first in a sequential series of trainings, provides a solid introduction to EBRI. Learn about the four essential components of reading (alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension) and how they interrelate, the role of diagnostic assessment, and the basic tenets of explicit instruction.
Both this webinar and Diagnostic Assessment of Reading are prerequisites for EBRI trainings on the essential reading components specific to GLE 0–3 or 9–12. Teachers of GLE 4–8 are served through STAR trainings. Please see our upcoming events for a comprehensive description of Diagnostic Assessment of Reading.
A new course will begin every month. The registration period will close the week before the start of the course, to allow for enrollment logistics.
While not eligible for PDPs by itself, this offering can be bundled with other EBRI offerings in order to earn PDPs.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- List and explain the four essential components of reading
- Describe how the four essential components of reading interrelate and why these connections are important to EBRI
- Explain why administering a diagnostic assessment of reading is a pivotal part of EBRI
- Describe explicit instruction and its connection to EBRI
As with all ELA PD, you may find it useful to view this 19-minute video introducing the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education (CCRSAE) for ELA.