Part 1 of the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) Overview introduces the standards, why they were developed, what is new, and what has stayed the same. (SABES)
Welcome to the SABES ESOL Curriculum & Instruction Professional Development Center (ESOL PD Center)
The SABES ESOL Curriculum & Instruction Professional Development Center is managed by EDC (Education Development Center). Our center provides relevant, innovative, high-quality professional development, led by local and national subject matter experts, and aligned to the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Speakers of Other Languages. We support the ongoing learning needs of ESOL educators working to help adult learners develop English language proficiency to meet their everyday, educational, and professional goals.
To see dates and register for PD events, visit the SABES Calendar.
- Professional Development Menu for MA ESOL Professional Standards
- MA ELPS (Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards) - Document and Overview Videos
- Curriculum Planning Templates (Scope & Sequence, Unit, Lesson) and Sample Units
- Instructional Videos and Lesson Plan
- Tech Skills for ESOL Instruction Session Recording Library
- ESOL Teaching Resources to Promote Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Find all ESOL Resources at ESOL: Resources, Research, and Curriculum
UPCOMING ESOL PD EVENTS (click for details & registration)
- Antiracist Praxis Study Circle
- Exploring Effective Instruction in the ESOL Classroom
- Google Classroom for Language Learning and Digital Literacy
- Digital Literacy in Beginning and Intermediate ESOL Instruction
- How Do Adults Learn English? An Exploration of Second Language Acquisition Principles
- Reading Minds: ESOL Reading Instruction in the Virtual Classroom
- Craft a Compelling Story to Tell and Teach!
- Trauma-Informed Instruction
COACHING AND PROGRAM-BASED PD
The ESOL PD Center also offers custom-tailored coaching services for individuals or instructional teams. Trained coaches are available to assist with curriculum development, culturally responsive teaching, instructional practices, implementation of EGE, and other needs.
To suggest new PD topics, or request program-based PD or coaching support for yourself or your program, contact ESOL PD Center Director Dori McCormack (email@example.com).
THE ESOL PD CENTER TEAM:
ESOL: Upcoming Events
In this online, multi-session workshop we explore and provide many opportunities to apply best instructional practices for teaching adult English...
In this two-day Zoom workshop, you will learn how to use the most important features of Google Classroom to organize...
Digital Literacy in Beginning and Intermediate ESOL Instruction: Engaging with Opportunities for Deeper Learning (Online Facilitated)
This virtual workshop explores ways to engage beginning and intermediate-level English learners in using technology to find, evaluate, and communicate...
Part 2 of the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) Overview explores the organization of the MA ELPS document. (SABES) See also: MA ELPS (Massachusetts English Language
Part 3 of the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) Overview explores the organization of the MA ELPS document. (SABES).
ESOL: Resources, Research and Curriculum
Within this PDF, you will find links to valuable tips about ESOL teaching best practices by viewing these videos created by the SABES ESOL PD…
This resource is comprised of two separate components: the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) document, and three…
In this article in Language Magazine, author Katie Novak describes the core principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and explains why…