Welcome to the SABES ESOL Curriculum & Instruction Professional Development Center (ESOL PD Center)
The SABES ESOL Curriculum & Instruction Professional Development Center is managed by EDC (Education Development Center). Our center provides relevant, innovative, high-quality professional development, led by local and national subject matter experts, and aligned to the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Speakers of Other Languages. We support the ongoing learning needs of ESOL educators working to help adult learners develop English language proficiency to meet their every day, educational, and professional goals.
To see dates and register for PD events, visit the SABES Calendar.
What are educators saying?
"I'm so grateful for the extraordinary resources you provide to the ESOL teaching and learning community! Your work is powerful and life-affirming!"
- Professional Development Menu for MA ESOL Professional Standards, including:
- Self-Assessment to evaluate strengths and PD needs
- Professional Development Pathways: a helpful guide to sequencing your plan for PD
- SABES Videos aligned to the ESOL Professional Standards
- Links to teaching resources organized by standard
- MA ELPS (Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards) - Document and Overview Videos
- Curriculum Planning Templates and Review Guides (Google Folder of all Docs)
- Instructional Videos and Lesson Plan
- Tech Skills for ESOL Instruction Session Recording Library
- Classroom-Based Instructional Video Collection
- ESOL Teaching Resources to Promote Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Find all ESOL Resources at ESOL: Resources, Research, and Curriculum
Interested in a snapshot of our year-at-a-glance? Find it here.
NEW! Updated Standards-Aligned Resource Collections
- Second Language Acquisition Teaching Resources (Standard 1)
- Components of Language (Standard 2):
- Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Teaching Resources (Standard 3)
- Curriculum and Instructional Planning Resources (Standard 4)
- Assessment Teaching Resources (Standard 5)
- Instructional Delivery Teaching Resources (Standard 6)
Special Topics of Interest:
- ESOL Literacy Teaching Resources
- Translanguaging Resources
- Problem-Based Learning Resources
- Project-Based Learning Resources
- Civics and Citizenship Teaching Resources
- Resources to Develop Career-Contextualized ESOL Curriculum
- Learning Differences-Difficulties-Disabilities and Assistive Technology
What are educators saying?
"...thanks for offering the series of Google Workspace meetings with Luis Franco. I am a novice and have learned a lot from his well-honed instruction along with the feedback from other more experienced participants."
"I'm happy to say that I already used some of the strategies with my class today, and it was great. Students enjoyed different types of engagement and were able to work on conversational skills as well as presentation skills."
UPCOMING ESOL PD EVENTS (click for details & registration)
- How Do Adults Learn English? An Exploration of Second Language Acquisition Principles
- Fusing Literacies: Session1 - Teaching Listening Strategies and Digital Literacy in the ESOL Classroom
- Fusing Literacies: Session2 - Teaching Speaking Strategies and Digital Literacy in the ESOL Classroom
- Teaching the Notes and Melodies: Incorporating Effective Pronunciation Instruction into ESOL Lessons
- Fusing Literacies, Session 3: Teaching Reading Strategies and Digital Literacy in the ESOL Classroom
- Fusing Literacies, Session 4: Teaching Writing Strategies and Digital Literacy in the ESOL Classroom
- lntroducing Civic Literacy in the Adult ESOL Classroom
Collaboration with other C&I Centers
- Differentiation by Design: Optimizing Learning for All Learners
- Trauma-Informed Instruction
- Promoting English Learners' Success Through Scaffolding
COACHING AND PROGRAM-BASED PD
We also offer customized coaching and program-based PD to help you with curriculum development and planning, assessment, educator growth, digital literacy, culturally responsive teaching, and other effective ESOL instructional approaches and strategies.
To inquire about coaching or PD tailored to your needs, don't hesitate to get in touch with ESOL PD Center Director, Dori McCormack at firstname.lastname@example.org
THE ESOL PD CENTER TEAM:
ESOL: Upcoming Events
Fusing Literacies Session 3: Teaching Reading Strategies and Digital Literacy in the ESOL Classroom (Online Facilitated)
ESOL instructors support their multilingual learners’ reading skill development across a wide range of scenarios—from online articles to social media...
Come see how to scaffold learning so that ALL learners can have success with complex tasks regardless of their English...
Fusing Literacies Session 4: Teaching Writing Strategies and Digital Literacy in the ESOL Classroom (Online Facilitated)
ESOL instructors support their multilingual learners’ writing skill development across a wide range of scenarios as they write independently and...
In this 23-minute video, you will be introduced to the critical elements of Instructional Delivery - Standard 6. Feel free to view and re-view this video as part of your work in familiarizing yourself
This brief introductory video focuses on the purposes and benefits of different forms of assessment in the ESOL classroom, with a particular focus on how each form of assessment supports teaching and
ESOL: Resources, Research and Curriculum
Within this PDF, you will find links to valuable tips about ESOL teaching best practices by viewing these videos created by the SABES ESOL PD…
This resource is comprised of two separate components: the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) document, and three…
This is a helpful collection of introductory videos that explain key concepts from the Massachusetts ESOL Professional Standards for Adult…