Within this PDF, you will find links to valuable tips about ESOL teaching best practices by viewing these videos created by the SABES ESOL PD Center...
Revised ESOL Professional Standards
The revised Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Speakers of Other Languages (2021) are here! The Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Speakers of Other Languages was originally developed in 2014 and revised to reflect the many changes that have taken place in the adult ESOL field. You can find the link to the full revised standards document HERE.
Additional materials to assist as you begin your review of the document is:
- Zoom recording (passcode must be entered: W+$8@rvT)of the Introduction of the Revised Massachusetts ESOL Professional Standards (conducted March 5th, 2021)
- Standards-At-A-Glance – this one-page job aide provides a brief overview of each of the seven standards
- Short Self-Assessment – curious about where you may want to begin your exploration of the Massachusetts Professional Standards? Take this short self-assessment to see your relative strengths and weaknesses in regard to the standards. The Self-Assessment will can be found on the ACLS Educator Effectiveness page
- For more information about Educator Effectiveness, including the professional standards and proficiency guides for adult educators, visit the ACLS page on Educator Effectiveness
Further professional development on the revised Massachusetts ESOL Professional Standards will be coming soon, so please check the SABES calendar regularly for new opportunities.
The ESOL PD Center continues to develop and deliver professional development to help you to meet all of your instructional needs, be they remote, in-person, blended, or some combination of these modalities.
Join our roundtable discussions where a panel of your peers come together to share their ideas and successes in using a variety of applications. Hear their ideas, share your thoughts, and brainstorm with the group. These sessions are currently on the calendar and open for registration:
Along with what you will find currently on the SABES calendar, you can look forward to the following online courses during spring months ahead (making their way to the calendar soon!):
- A second session on Differentiation
- A second round of Teaching Syllables, Stress, and Rhythm to Enhance English Learners’ Pronunciation
- Contextualized Grammar Instruction for the ESOL Classroom
- Using the MA ELPS to Inform Instruction
- Zoom, Google Classroom, and more!
If you are looking for a particular topic that you do not see here – or is currently full – please contact Dori McCormack, ESOL C&I PD Center Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to meet your needs.
As always, we are thinking of you all and wishing you good health –
The ESOL PD Center Team
A brief and light-hearted video with tips on participating in virtual sessions :).
ESOL: Upcoming Events
Teaching Syllables, Stress, and Rhythm to Enhance English Learners’ Pronunciation (Online Facilitated)
In this three-part course, participants will learn several methods for teaching syllables, word stress, phrase stress, and rhythm in both...
In this workshop, participants will learn effective strategies and techniques for teaching English grammar in meaningful communicative contexts.
Using the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) to Inform Instruction (Online Blended)
In this four-part blended workshop, you will expand your knowledge of the MA ELPS and learn how to apply the...
ESOL: Resources, Research and Curriculum
This resource is comprised of two separate components: the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) document, and three overview...
Please view our library of recorded sessions below. You will not find all of our courses here as some do not lend themselves to recording due to the...