In this series of four videos, two instructors and the director of Abisi Adult Education Center in Lowell, MA introduce you to the STAR program...
The SABES ELA C&I PD Center, based at QCC in Worcester, provides ELA PD and support for adult education programs throughout Massachusetts.
Introducing: Four STAR instruction videos from Abisi Adult Learning Center in Lowell! These are best practice videos from the classrooms of two STAR (STudent Achievement in Reading) teachers: Maura McCabe and Christina Cronin, with director Betty McKiernan. Learn why they continue to teach STAR, and the progress students make. Hear from two students why STAR is important to them. See why STAR is entering its 11th year in Massachusetts!
Register now for the following events taking place over the next four to six weeks; find all upcoming ELA PD by searching the Calendar or by going to ELA Upcoming Events. All PD will be delivered online until further notice, from self-paced modules to live webinars to multi-layered courses.
- Live PD:
- History and Science Made Memorable Through Multimedia (begins with a live session on 10/23, runs for 6 weeks)
- STAR (STudent Assessment of Reading) Training: (begins with a live session on 11/5, runs for 8 months)
- EBRI: Diagnostic Assessments of Reading (begins with a live session on 11/2, runs for 6 weeks)
- Evidence-Based Writing Strategies: Pre-Writing & Organizing (two live sessions on 11/4 and 11/18)
- Cultivating Genius: An Equity Model for Culturally & Historically Responsive Adult Education (live session on 11/17)
- Recorded webinars, available through October:
Contact ELA C&I Center Director, Merilee Freeman, to request a coach or specific PD for FY21:
- call (508-854-4296)
- e-mail (email@example.com), or
- select the purple “Contact this PD Center” button, below.
Looking for Resources? Scroll down for highlighted resources under ELA: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. See also:
- College & Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education (CCRSAE) collected resources for curriculum and instruction
- Curriculum (including Text Complexity, Text Sets)
- Connections to other subjects and other organizations
- Evidence-Based Reading Instruction (EBRI), including STAR
- ELA Proficiency Guide
- Standards and Frameworks
- ELA Blog: Reflect & Connect--The Reflective Practitioner
Be well--we look forward to supporting you and seeing you online this year.
ELA: Upcoming Events
Learn how to administer and interpret diagnostic reading assessments for adult learners, how to build individual reading profiles, and how...
The brief webinar is the first step on your evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) journey, providing an introduction and overview of...
Support your students in becoming more confident and accomplished writers. Pre-Writing & Organizing Strategies: Graphic organizers & Sentence Frames focuses...
ELA: Resources, Research and Curriculum
Alphabetics is one of the four essential components of reading. These four videos on Phonemic Awareness, each 5-6 minutes in length, are from the...
Fluency is one of the four essential components of reading. This series of seven videos on Improving Fluency with Oral Reading Strategies is from the...