English learner students in a math class talk about how important it is to learn math, and how well they learn it in classes taught by SABES instructors.
The SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center is managed by the Adult Numeracy Center at TERC, located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Our center provides high-quality professional development (PD) so that teachers can better help adult learners understand how math is present and relevant in everyday life, and how learners can use this knowledge to improve their own lives and communities.
_______________________________________________________________________________________ FEATURED RESOURCES _______________________________________________________________________________________
- Resources for remote instruction
- Information and resources related to COVID-19
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Math resources
UPCOMING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT EVENTS Read more and register through the SABES Calendar! _______________________________________________________________________________________
- Getting Students to Talk in Math Class (Online Facilitated)
- Add Spreadsheets to Your Math Teaching Toolbox, Part 1 & Part 2 (Online Facilitated)
- Celebrating the Diversity of Mathematical Minds (Online Facilitated)
Here are some of the many other services we offer:
- Resources: Recently posted resources appear on this page under Math: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. Find resources by using the search box located at the top of this page, by selecting the Resource Library link at the top of this page, or by going directly to one of our curated collection pages:
- Research, including effective teaching practices
- Standards, including our Overview, which illustrates how standards develop across levels
- Curriculum, including sample instructional units*
- Instruction, including teaching ideas for LD students and lessons from Statistics in Action
- Resources for remote instruction, including tips on how to use them in math classes
- Mathematics Proficiency Guide
- News: Check for news under Math: What’s New, and select Sign Up for Notifications to arrange for email alerts about newly posted news, resources, and PD opportunities.
- Our blog: Check out the monthly blogs, written by our team and by teachers who have worked with our PD Center.
*For CALM, the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math, see our CALM website.)
Contact us: Would you like to bring math PD to your program, suggest a resource, or ask a question? We’re here! Contact our director, Donna Curry, at email@example.com, or select the purple “Contact This PD Center” button below.
Math & Numeracy: Upcoming Events
Note: This online workshop is Part 2 of a two-part series that serves as an introduction to a new set...
At a distance or face-to-face, we are all looking for ways to support our students. The City University of New...
Most adult education programs have English learners (ELs) in their adult basic education (ABE) courses. These ELs, like their native-English...
Math & Numeracy: Videos
In this video, produced by the SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy C&I PD Center, she draws on her own recent teaching experiences as she shares strategies for building community in online math
Singapore Strips are a visual tool that can help students make sense of word problems by promoting student engagement and understanding. This video shows how Singapore Strips can be introduced and
Math & Numeracy: Resources, Research and Curriculum
In 2016, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) made changes to what nutritional information food manufacturers are required to report and how they...
This brief document includes important reminders about preparations for remote activities with students, including technology considerations, handout...
“Over a lifetime, each American throws away nearly 15 tons of packaging. Much of this ends up in the oceans, and much of it is plastic. As plastic...