This collection includes a printable teacher's guide and student packet plus other supporting materials that can be downloaded below as Word documents...
The SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center is managed by the Adult Numeracy Center at TERC, located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Our center provides high-quality professional development (PD) so that teachers can better help adult learners understand how math is present and relevant in everyday life, and how learners can use this knowledge to improve their own lives and communities.
UPCOMING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT EVENTS
- Exploring Linear Equations (virtual workshop series)
- Estimation for Understanding: Teaching Estimation as a Way to Develop Number Sense (webinar)
- LD Teaching Strategies for Math (webinar)
- Digital Learning with Desmos (webinar series)
- Exploring Angles with Kites (webinar)
- Cultivating genius: An equity model for culturally & historically responsive adult education (webinar)
- CALM Support: Adapting CALM for Remote Teaching
- Estimation for Understanding
- LD Teaching Strategies for Math
Here are some of the many other services we offer:
- Resources: Recently posted resources appear on this page under Math: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. Find resources by using the search box located at the top of this page, by selecting the Resource Library link at the top of this page, or by going directly to one of our curated collection pages:
- Research, including effective teaching practices
- Standards, including our Overview, which illustrates how standards develop across levels
- Curriculum, including sample instructional units (for CALM, the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math, see our note below)
- Instruction, including teaching ideas for LD students and lessons from Statistics in Action
- Web Resources, including tips on how to use them in math classes
- Mathematics Proficiency Guide
- News: Check for news under Math: What’s New, and select Sign Up for Notifications to arrange for email alerts about newly posted news, resources, and PD opportunities.
- Our blog: Check out the monthly blogs, written by our team and by teachers who have worked with our PD Center.
*Are you looking for information or resources related to COVID-19? Click here.*
Contact us: Would you like to bring math PD to your program, suggest a resource, or ask a question? We’re here! Contact our director, Donna Curry, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or select the purple “Contact This PD Center” button below.
Math & Numeracy: Upcoming Events
According to the report Algebraic Thinking in Adult Education (Ginsburg, 2010), workplace skills demand workers who are “comfortable with ideas...
"…the results from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) estimation items… point out the weak estimation skills of our...
LD—Learning Differences, Difficulties, or Disabilities: Many of our students experience these terms firsthand, but no matter the case, it’s important...
Math & Numeracy: Resources, Research and Curriculum
In this time of upheaval, it's important to understand as best we can what is happening. Our Center wants to support you and your students by offering...
The Mathematics Proficiency Guide for Teachers of Adult Education (November 2019) is one of several companion pieces to the MA Professional Standards...