Curriculum resources gathered by the SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center:
- Understanding Risk. This sample lesson provides a lesson that can be used in a math unit on probability, using the context of personal health risks and decisions.
- Heat Wave: A math lesson plan exploring climate change. This sample contextualized lesson focuses on using box-and-whisker charts to compare sets of data in the context of exploring climate change. The lesson includes a lesson plan and teacher materials as well as student materials/handouts. A companion ZIP file containing PowerPoint slides for the lesson is also provided.
- Heat Wave (Level A). This sample contextualized lesson is an adaptation of the original Heat Wave lesson above. The context for this lesson is climate and climate change, and it focuses on comparing sets of data, specifically the number of heat wave days in Massachusetts in the years between 1981 and 2010 (as recorded by the Center for Disease Control).
- Will It Rain Tomorrow? This sample contextualized lesson was designed as part of a science unit on weather, climate, and climate change, with the recognition that an understanding of basic probability and statistics is required to understand the scientific concepts. This lesson could also be used in a math unit on probability to provide a context for students to apply their math skills.
- Building a Curriculum (video). What exactly is a curriculum, and how do we create one for our program? This brief video defines what a curriculum is and how having one in place helps us as teachers.
- Developing Instructional Units: Applying What Students Learn. This document is based on a presentation at the 2015 Fall Curriculum Conference, where practitioners explored two methods of building more contextualized instructional units.
- Sample Instructional Unit: Fractions-Decimals-Percents Benchmarks. This sample unit is designed to build and deepen students’ understanding of common benchmark fractions, decimals, and percents.
- Sample Instructional Unit: Ratio and Proportion. This sample unit for Level B students focuses on an understanding of ratios in order to correctly mix medication.
- Sample Instructional Unit: Area and Perimeter. This sample unit for Level A students focuses on students' understanding of area and perimeter in order to compare apartments.
Mathematics and Adult Numeracy