This brief webinar is the first step on your evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) journey, providing an introduction and overview of EBRI. It is a prerequisite for all other EBRI offerings.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- All ABE practitioners and staff who wish to use or better understand EBRI
This webinar, the first in a sequential series of trainings, provides a solid introduction to EBRI. Learn about the four essential components of reading (alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension) and how they interrelate, the role of diagnostic assessment, and the basic tenets of explicit instruction.
Both this webinar and Diagnostic Assessment of Reading are prerequisites for EBRI trainings on the essential reading components specific to GLE 0–3 or 9–12. Teachers of GLE 4–8 are served through STAR trainings.
The Overview of EBRI will begin fresh every month. Registration will close the week before the start date, to allow for enrollment logistics.
Please note: You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
While not eligible for PDPs by itself, this offering can be bundled with other EBRI offerings to earn PDPs.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- List and explain the four essential components of reading
- Describe how the four essential components of reading interrelate and why these connections are important to EBRI
- Explain why administering a diagnostic assessment of reading is a pivotal part of EBRI
- Describe explicit instruction and its connection to EBRI
There is no prerequisite. This is a prerequisite for all other EBRI offerings.