The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) requires all administrators and direct service staff in an ESE-funded ABE program to complete the SABES Foundations for New Staff: Overview of the ABE Field course in the first 12 months of employment. Staff members do not need to take this course if they were previously employed at an ESE-funded ABE program and already possess a Certificate of Completion from the Foundation's course or from the New Staff Orientation. A new cohort session will begin the first of every month. This month's course will run between September 1 and September 28, 2016. The registration period for each months course will close one week prior to the end of the month to allow for enrollment logistics.
Please note: You cannot access online courses from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
Course type: An online, asynchronous (non-moderated) course.
Estimated completion time: Five hours. The amount of time you take may vary. You will find some optional activities which are not included in the time estimate.
Technical Requirements: This course includes pages for which you will need speakers to hear audio. If you don't already have the following programs, you will need to click to download them (they will open in new browser windows): Java (download or, if it is already on your computer, enable it) for several activities, Adobe Flash Player to play sound and videos, and Adobe Reader to open documents.
Throughout this course, you will be asked to:
- Do quick, three-minute journaling so you can process the information more deeply and so you can relate it to your job. These journals are for you only - you do not submit them to anyone
- Read to learn basic information about the field
- Take tests and quizzes to review the knowledge covered, and to document your completion of this module
Requirement to receive a certificate of completion:
Get a score of at least 80% on each quiz and 80% on the post-test. You may retake quizzes as many times as you like prior to the course end date. You may attempt the post-test twice. After successful completion of both this course and the companion ten-hour course, The Art of Teaching, you may request 15 professional development points (PDPs) along with your completion certificate.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Describe the structure of the ESE-funded ABE system as it exists in Massachusetts
- Describe the history and development of Adult Basic Education from a national and state perspective
- Describe the statewide SABES system including its purpose and available resources for your staff development
- Describe the importance of professional development, including the use of the Professional Standards, Subject Matter Knowledge Requirements, and other resources to enhance professional practice
- Describe the importance of goal setting and countable outcomes in supporting learners in their personal, career, and educational pathways
- Explain how a program-wide curriculum aligns learners' goals, the Curriculum Frameworks, and class levels in a program
- List the standardized tests used to determine learning gains in Massachusetts and the certification policies for administration and scoring
- Describe the SMARTT data reporting system and its importance in relation to national and staff accountability