Career fairs offer English language learners at all proficiency levels opportunities for authentic, real-life language practice, whether they are seeking employment at the time or not. This three-part workshop will provide strategies for helping learners get the most out of career fairs.
- ESOL teachers interested in developing lessons that will prepare English language learners for career fairs
- Academic and career advisors working on expanding students' employment opportunities
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
You just received another flyer for a career/job fair. What do you do with it other than simply pass it along to your students? In this workshop you will explore ways learners can prepare for a career/job fair, navigate during the event, and follow up with potential employers, when appropriate. Help learners not yet ready for the workplace to start building self-confidence and relevant language skills. Topics will include employer expectations, lesson planning, and using role plays.
The course components include:
- A face-to-face, hands-on session (2 hours)
- An online facilitated discussion forum (2 hours total): explore additional resources, exchange ideas, and get support developing your activity and trying it out with your learners
- A facilitated webinar (1 hour): Share updates and lessons learned, and plan next steps
Date and times of the event:
- Face-to-face session: Thursday, April 25, 2019, 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Online discussion forum: April 26 to May 8, 2019
- Webinar: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
To receive credit, you must participate in all three components. Additional requirement: about 2 hours applying your learning in your educational practice. Total PD hours: 7
For more information, contact Dori McCormack at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Describe level-appropriate language skills ESOL students can use at career fairs
- Draft a language lesson contextualized in career fair preparation and try it with students
- Convey to students the cultural and professional expectations, as well as the benefits of participating in job and career fairs
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
2067 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02140