Adult ESOL learners need math skills to be smart consumers and effective employees. Successfully integrating math into an ESOL class does not have to interfere with your language objectives or cause you to stress over how to design meaningful math activities. The Integrating Math into ESOL series consists of four-hour workshops designed to familiarize ESOL teachers with ready-to-go math activities that can be integrated into the units and contexts you already teach. You will receive a packet of materials created by a team of math and ESOL teachers at the SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum and Instruction PD Center to take home with you.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ESOL teachers at all levels of math ability and comfort
This half-day, face-to-face workshop will focus on math concepts and activities that could be woven into an ESOL unit on employment. You will have the opportunity to deepen your own conceptual understanding of math concepts behind the activities, try out visual and tactile manipulatives that can enhance students' understanding, and experience and reflect on some of the activities offered in the packet. Cultural, life, and work skills contexts addressed in the packet include data collection and analysis, estimation, reading and analyzing pay stubs, and using measurement.
To receive a certificate of completion, you must attend the entire face-to-face-session. For more information, please contact Sherry Soares (email@example.com).
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Use benchmark fractions, decimals, and percents to make sense of less familiar numbers
- Organize and analyze categorical data
- Make sense of ratios using drawings
- Identify places in your ESOL curriculum to use these math concepts and activities