The SABES Curriculum & Instruction (C&I) PD Centers, in partnership with LINCS, are offering three online, self-paced modules as a foundation in Learning Disabilities in Adults: Definitions of Learning Disabilities, Accommodations, and Workforce Preparation Strategies. These modules are part of Learning to Achieve, a suite of research-based resources and professional development materials developed by LINCS. The three modules in the Introduction are prerequisites for the specific LD trainings for the ELA and ESOL C&I PD Centers.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Adult education practitioners and teachers of ELA, Math, and ESOL
Complete three self-paced modules housed on the Blackboard learning management system:
- Definitions of Learning Disabilities (1.5 hours): Explore differences in the definitions of LD and the ramifications for adults with LD.
- Accommodations (1 hour): Learn about testing and instructional accommodations appropriate for individuals with LD.
- Workforce Preparation Strategies (2 hours): Review practical strategies to help adults with LD find and retain employment.
A cohort of practitioners will begin on February 1 and another on March 1. The registration period will close two days prior to the start of the course to allow for enrollment logistics.
All three self-paced modules must be completed by March 27, 2019 as prerequisites for the upcoming professional development on LD from the ELA and ESOL PD Centers:
- Responding to the Needs of All Adult Learners for Literacy Instruction (ELA)
- Learning Disabilities, Difficulties, and Differences: Designing ESOL Instruction to Meet Learners' Diverse Needs
Please note: You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. Shortly before the course begins you will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course through Blackboard.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Describe a consensus definition of learning disabilities
- Identify some behaviors that indicate an individual may have a learning disability
- Describe instructional accommodations appropriate for individuals with learning disabilities
- Describe strategies for helping adults with learning disabilities to develop skills that enhance their workforce readiness and success
None. This is a prerequisite for additional PD offerings on LD from the ESOL and ELA PD Centers: