The Art of Advising introduces practical tools, strategies, and approaches to staff whose primary function is education and career advising that you can use to help students plan their next steps. While this course is geared towards staff who are new to the advising role, it can also benefit experienced advisors seeking to refresh their knowledge and skills.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Staff who are new to the role of education and career advising
To earn the Certificate of Completion, you must attend both sessions and spend two hours between each session on homework activities.
PART I: 4/11/2019 from 10:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
NOTE: When registering for Part I (April 11), you will automatically be registered for Part II. To register, use the “Register” tab at the top of the SABES Calendar.
For more information, contact Ruzica Banovic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the role and responsibilities of the education and career advisor
- Describe the key components of Education and Career Planning
- Identify and select tools you can use in your own work to implement the components of Education and Career Planning
- Use the indicators of effective advising to assess your work
- Use the principles of at least one career and/or adult development theory to guide your practice
- Describe the legal obligations and procedures for reporting abuse and neglect