The Professional Adult Educator is a six-week, ten-hour online course that explores the art of teaching adults, viewed through the lens of the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Education.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- New and experienced ELA, Math, and ESOL adult education teachers interested in learning how to use the MA Professional Standards for Adult Education to enhance their teaching practice
This course employs an inquiry-based learning approach to guide you in making connections between the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Education and your teaching practice. You will begin to develop and/or strengthen your proficiency around standards, curriculum, assessment, planning, instructional design, and teaching approaches. Through a combination of self-paced and facilitated virtual sessions, you will engage in reflective exercises and investigate instructional strategies based on best practices. The course offers separate tracks for novice and for more experienced practitioners and is thus appropriate for all adult educators.
The course components include:
- Three self-directed modules (7 hours), beginning on April 8, 2019.
- Two facilitated webinars (3 hours)
To receive credit, you must participate in all components. Total PD hours: 10. PDPs are available upon request.
- 04/08/2019 to 4/22/2019 - course opens with a self-directed module
- 04/22/2019 (facilitated webinar) - 3:00pm to 4:30pm
- 04/22/2019 to 05/06/2019 - self-directed module
- 05/06/2019 to 05/20/2019 - self-directed module
- 05/20/2019 (facilitated webinar) - 3:00pm to 4:30pm
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Describe how the MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Education provide a framework for effective teaching and promote the learning and growth of all students
- Collect and organize evidence-based strategies and best practices that connect to the Professional Standards and accompanying Self-Assessment Rubric
- Answer the course's essential question: What does high-quality teaching and meaningful learning look like and sound like in an AE classroom?
- Critically assess your professional knowledge, understanding, and practice in order to develop next-step goals for continued growth and ultimately to enhance student outcomes