This workshop provides you with an overview of second language acquisition theories and principles with a focus on their application in the adult ESOL classroom. It includes both a face-to-face workshop and an online companion course.
This workshop is one of six based on the MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Novice and experienced ESOL teachers and program directors who would like to deepen their understanding of the principles and theories underlying effective second language instruction
In this 5-hour workshop, we investigate research-based principles and practices that support second language acquisition (SLA) of adult ESOL learners. Our exploration is guided by some of the most intriguing questions that ESOL teachers face:
- What stages do learners go through as they acquire English?
- What individual factors may impact learners’ progress?
- What is authentic interaction, and why is it so effective in language acquisition?
- What kinds of questions, corrective feedback, and instructional strategies can we use to encourage language development?
The answers to these questions, gleaned from SLA research, will help you make effective instructional decisions. The workshop includes opportunities to collaborate on designing lessons that promote communication among learners and that address College and Career Readiness for adult English Language Learners. Following the face-to-face workshop is an online companion course to support you in applying what you’ve learned. The companion course is facilitated by the workshop presenter, and participation is expected.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Identify SLA principles that support effective ESOL instruction
- Describe the importance of authentic interaction in SLA
- Identify the stages of learners’ interlanguage development
- Describe how “teacher talk,” questioning strategies, and corrective feedback can be best used to encourage learners’ language development
- Plan action steps to apply SLA principles in your teaching practice
You are encouraged to watch the online presentation Introduction to the Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL before attending any of the workshops based on the professional standards. You can register for this presentation through the SABES Calendar.