This six-week online course provides hands-on activities to prepare instructors and advisors to incorporate lessons from the Integrating Career Awareness (ICA) curriculum guide into classroom instruction and advising to assist students with education and career planning.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Teachers and advisors who are unfamiliar with career exploration concepts and resources
- Teachers and advisors who are familiar with the concepts, but who want to develop a plan to more thoroughly embed education and career planning activities into instructional objectives
- New advisors who have already completed the Art of Advising. New advisors may be concurrently enrolled in this course and the Art of Advising. However, completing Art of Advising should be the priority for new advisors with limited time for professional development
Career-focused programming that helps students prepare for the workforce and progress along an education and career pathway is increasingly important under WIOA. Integrating Career Awareness into the ABE and ESOL Classroom curriculum guide is a valuable tool for teachers and advisors to assist students with education and career planning. It includes dozens of lessons and activities that can be adapted to the level and interests of students and also incorporated into existing curriculum, classroom lessons, and advising activities.
The activities in this course are designed to increase your knowledge of the career planning process and the resources available to guide students through an education and career plan. Throughout the course, you will select a sequence of ICA lessons and activities and identify ways you can use them in conjunction with content standards to achieve your teaching and learning objectives.
While the online format allows you to work on weekly course assignments at your convenience, it is important to note that successful course completion entails completing weekly assignments with set deadlines. You should expect to spend four hours per week on course activities.
You will be e-mailed the course schedule of weekly assignments and deadlines once you’ve enrolled in the course. For more information, please contact Ruzica Banovic firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Compare a variety of lessons and resources included in Integrating Career Awareness into the ABE & ESOL Classroom (ICA) curriculum guide to assist students completing a Career and Education Planning Worksheet
- Complete a Lesson Planning Template from the ICA curriculum guide that is tailored to the student levels, intensity of instruction, length of your program cycle and aligned, where applicable, to your state or program content standards
- Determine the preparation, classroom time, and resources that you will need in order to deliver the lessons that you’ve included in your Lesson Planning Template
- Apply a framework for setting a personal goal and discuss how you would introduce this framework to students to help them set concrete goals
- Navigate, compare, and assess local and online resources to complement the ICA lessons, such as career exploration websites, college websites, One Stop Career Centers, and potential guest speakers
- List the education steps needed towards a credential in a specific career pathway and identify a postsecondary institution in your area that provides such training