This is not the Overview of the NEW MA ELPS. The Overview videos are being moved to the ESOL webpage for ready access. Stay tuned for an announcement when the move is complete. Thank you!
This online, lightly facilitated tutorial is designed to introduce you to the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL): What ESOL Instructors Need to Know and Be Able to Do. The tutorial will discuss why the standards were developed, introduce each of the seven standards included in this comprehensive document, and show how each standard can be used to improve ESOL instruction.
A new cohort will begin on the first of every month. The registration period will close the week before the start of the course, to allow for enrollment logistics.
Please note: You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
New ESOL teachers
- Experienced ESOL teachers interested in professional standards
- ESOL program directors
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
This is an online, lightly facilitated course. Feedback on your self-assessment will be provided by the course facilitator. The estimated completion time is 1.5-2 hours, although the amount of time may vary. You will find an optional activity that is not included in this estimate.
To receive professional development credit, you must complete and submit the following items within two weeks of beginning the course:
- Self-assessment assignment included in the course
- Online evaluation
- A headset, allowing you to hear audio from video offerings
- Adobe Flash Player, required to view videos
Throughout this course, you will be asked to:
- View videos relating to the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL
- Participate in a self-assessment activity
- Refer to the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL document
- (Optional) Record pre- and post-workshop reflections
- Name and describe the seven Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL
- Explain the purpose of the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL
- Assess your strengths and weaknesses in regard to the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL
- Begin your professional development planning for implementing the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: