This three-month online professional learning community (PLC) will explore the power of mobile technology to promote language learning in the classroom and beyond. The series includes a self-paced online introductory module, three facilitated virtual sessions, and three reflective discussions.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ESOL educators seeking innovative ways to develop learners’ English and digital-literacy skills through the use of mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc.)
Three monthly virtual sessions (1.5 hours each) that are connected through ongoing discussions, will introduce a wide range of mobile applications, both popular and less familiar. You will select and share the tools best suited to your learners' needs. You also will learn about a variety of digital modalities that encourage interaction outside the classroom.
The self-paced introductory module (1.5 hours) will introduce participants to a practical framework for effective integration of educational technology and applications in the classroom. The introductory module is designed to lay the foundation for the remaining components of the Going Mobile PLC.
Discussions will address adult learners' unique instructional needs as well as the benefits and challenges of using mobile-app technologies for teaching. Massachusetts educators who have experience using mobile learning applications for ESOL teaching will provide leadership and support.
At each virtual meeting, following an experience-sharing segment, you will learn two new mobile apps. During the subsequent month, you will explore one new app with your learners, or go deeper with a familiar app. Between-session discussions (one hour total per month) will include the use of communication and collaboration tools such as Whatsapp and Google Docs.
Please note: Upon registration, you will be enrolled in this course in Blackboard and will receive an email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instruction on how to access it. You cannot open it from the SABES website.
The PLC components include:
- Online, self-paced introduction to integration module (1.5 hours)
- Three virtual sessions (4.5 hours)
- Three online discussions (3 hours)
- Preparation for integration into teaching practice, estimate one hour per month (3 hours)
Total PD Hours: 12
Participation in all components is required, plus completion of a final project. Examples of final projects include: a blog post about using mobile tools for ESOL instruction; creation of a five-minute video of a mobile tool in action; or development of a lesson plan incorporating mobile tools.
Dates and times of the event:
- January 16, 2020: Course opens with self-paced module
- Virtual sessions: Three Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. - January 23, February 27, and March 26,2020
- For more information, contact Dori McCormack at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mobile technology and the use of specific apps into lesson planning, classroom activities, and out-of-class assignments to reinforce and deepen skills learned in class
- Align use of mobile tools with standards from the MAELPS
- Compare and contrast an array of mobile learning apps, identifying the area of focus of each and how they reinforce ESOL instruction
- Apply selection criteria when researching mobile applications for use with students
- Describe and recommend mobile apps to colleagues