Explore fluency, one of the essential components of reading. Fluency interacts with alphabetics, vocabulary, and comprehension to impact reading, and teachers should provide evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) in fluency to adults who are beginning readers (GLE 0-3.9). (Note: STAR training includes Fluency, so STAR-trained practitioners do not need to take this course, but can choose do to so as a refresher or to extend their practice to this GLE range.)
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ABE instructors of reading at GLE 0-3.9
This facilitated online course is composed of three sections: learning, practice, and reflection. Work at your own pace, though we do suggest the following timeline:
- Spend the first three weeks working through the online modules about fluency strategies, learner motivation, and selection of texts appropriate for adults reading at the GLE 0-3.9 range. The modules are composed of readings, presentations, videos of the strategies being utilized, and knowledge checks. Take notes on this content for a final reflection due to the instructor at the end of the course.
- In weeks four and five, try one or more strategies with adult learners. Take notes on the utilization and outcomes from utilizing the strategies with the learners.
- Complete and submit a reflection on the outcomes of the new strategy(ies) with the adult learners.
PD hours will only be earned when the final reflection is submitted.
Please note that the course runs over six weeks instead of five, to incorporate February school vacation week.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Define reading fluency, explaining how fluency and reading comprehension are interdependent
- Use diagnostic assessment to inform fluency instruction
- Choose appropriate evidence-based techniques for teaching fluency to beginning adult readers
- Access and select appropriate texts for adults who are learning to read
- Design and deliver a fluency lesson
Required: Complete both the Overview of EBRI and the Diagnostic Assessment of Reading before starting this PD offering, OR be STAR-trained or currently in a STAR training.