This 5.5-hour workshop explores the ways you can use the new Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards for Adult Education (MA ELPS) to increase academic rigor in adult ESOL instruction.
- Novice and experienced adult-ESOL teachers who will use the MA ELPS to support curriculum development and lesson planning
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
The new MA ELPS integrate English language development and college and career readiness into one comprehensive document. In this in-depth, hands-on workshop, you will build on what you learned from the SABES online overview of the MA ELPS and develop more confidence applying the standards to your teaching practice.
- Analyze the MA ELPS document itself
- Compare the new document with the previously used Massachusetts ABE Curriculum Framework for ESOL and identify examples of increased academic rigor
- Learn how to apply the standards and benchmarks most relevant to your class levels and students' needs
- Practice creating learning activities that will promote both student engagement and academic rigor
Snow date is February 14, 2020.
- Locate relevant information in the MA ELPS
- Make connections between the MA ELPS and the Massachusetts ABE Curriculum Framework for ESOL
- Match MA ELP standards and threads with learning objectives
- Align MA ELP standards and benchmarks with unit goals within a curriculum scope and sequence
- Use content topics within the MA ELPS to plan lessons and learning activities
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
Before attending this workshop, you are required to complete the online Overview of the MA ELPS, which is available on the ESOL C&I Center page on the SABES website. The Overview is three 20-minute self-paced modules which provide key background information about the purpose, development, and organization of the new MA ELPS.
You can find the Overview here: https://www.sabes.org/content/ma-elps-massachusetts-english-language-proficiency-standards-document-and-overview-videos
Plymouth Public Library
132 South St.
Plymouth, MA 02360