Have you heard people talking about Google Classroom and wondered what the buzz was all about? This session is for you! This workshop offers an introduction to Google Classroom, which was designed with teachers to help educators and students organize assignments, boost collaboration, and foster better communication.
This workshop will give you hands-on experience and examples of how other teachers have implemented it. You will leave having set up your own Google Classroom and with ideas on how to use it with your students. It is open to all with a general knowledge of how to access Google Drive and applications such as Google Docs and Google Sheets. Please be sure to see the Prerequisites below for more information and a link to brief tutorials to help prepare you, if needed.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Teachers and others interested in leveraging Google Classroom resources
Join us for an intensive dive into how to create classes, join a class, add lessons, and more. This hands-on session will enable you to explore Google Classroom features and capabilities, and to consider how you might use them in your work.
Many adult education teachers are enthusiastic about using Google Classroom with their students for numerous reasons. Here are just a few:
- It is a timesaver! It simplifies the way teachers can create and give assignments, and provide feedback and support to students.
- It keeps student materials organized in one place -- no more lost papers!
- Students can review class materials outside of class time, and catch up if they miss class.
- Students build digital literacy skills to prepare them for online learning for self-study and higher education or training.
- The workshop will be Monday, December 16 from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Following the workshop, your assignment will be to develop an objective and a plan for using your Google Classroom with students; to create a resource or activity to meet that objective; and post to the discussion forum by January 13.
The total time for this PD activity is approximately 6 hours. We estimate the time as follows:
- Workshop: 3 hours
- Assignment: 3 hours
We highly recommend you bring a laptop or tablet to the workshop.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Set up your own Google Classroom and manage it through adding lessons, tracking student progress, and communicating with students
- Develop an objective and plan for using your Google Classroom with students and create a resource or activity to meet that objective
Either a Gmail or a Google account and know your username and password. If you do not have one, create a new account for free by going to either https://mail.google.com/mail/signup for Gmail or https://accounts.google.com/signup for Google.
A general knowledge of how to access Google Docs and Google Sheets. If you need to become familiar or brush up, click for GCFLearnFree tutorial:
Lessons 1 and 2: https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/googledriveanddocs/