This online self-paced mini-course will help you get to know the College and Career Readiness Standards (CCR Standards) for Adult Education for English Language Arts (ELA).
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- New staff and anyone who needs to learn about the CCR Standards shifts for ELA. It is also highly useful as a refresher for all of us on what the three shifts are in theory and practice
What: An introduction to the three instructional shifts of the CCR Standards for ELA. This is brief, useful, and engaging course is facilitated by Dr. Amy Trawick.
When: Three to four hours spread over three weeks, starting the first Tuesday of every month except December.
How: This fully online, self-paced, lightly facilitated course is composed of readings, videos, and activities. Topics include the use of internet resources, informal knowledge checks, journaling, and planning for putting the instructional shifts into practice.
Why: For standard-aligned curricula and standard-aligned teaching, you need to know the standards!
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Describe the origins and purposes of the CCR Standards
- Locate and navigate the CCR Standards for ELA
- Explain the importance of the three instructional shifts prompted by the ELA Standards
- Access key resources related to standards-based ELA instruction
- Incorporate basic teaching approaches that address the three instructional shifts