The United States requires that every resident be counted during the census. The government will use 2020 census data to allocate funding and to guide community decision-making affecting schools, housing, health care services, business investment, and much more. There is a lot at stake--$1.5 trillion annually in federal assistance to states, localities, and families.
This Tech and Tell webinar is designed to help adult educators address the barriers that can keep some of our students from participating. For example, some students may not be aware of what is at stake for their families and communities. Others may be concerned about their data being kept private. Many may need to build their digital literacy skills to be able to submit their information now that the census is online.
The SABES Program Support PD Center team is excited to partner with The Change Agent (TCA), a publication of the New England Literacy Resource Center (NELRC). Based in Boston at World Education, TCA is a national adult education magazine written with and for adult learners that promotes social justice.
- Teachers, advisors, and anyone wishing to support full participation in the 2020 census
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- The webinar will take place on Wednesday, February 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Following the webinar, your assignment will be to develop an objective and plan for using a digital literacy skill or piece of knowledge to meet that objective; and post to the discussion forum by March 11.
The total time for this PD activity is approximately 2 hours. We estimate the time as follows:
- Webinar: 1 hour
- Assignment: 1 hour
- Create clarity of purpose for why it is important to teach in context of the census
- Identify three digital literacy skills or pieces of knowledge that will support your students’ participation in the census
- Develop an objective and plan for using one digital literacy skill or piece of knowledge to support student participation in the census
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: