Do your students struggle with fractions? Do you find students asking to be shown the steps “just one more time”? In this webinar we will explore some of the gaps that adult students often have in their foundational number sense around fractions and look at some activities and strategies for helping students develop this number sense so that they can reason and make sense of fractions and fraction procedures.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Adult basic education math teachers at all levels of math ability and comfort
This 75 minute webinar is for anyone involved in adult numeracy instruction who wants ideas for helping students develop core number sense with fractions at the early levels (CCRSAE Levels A-C). Participants will look at research on adult students’ fraction understanding, watch a video of students reasoning with benchmark fractions, and try out some activities themselves to expand their toolkit for teaching fractions conceptually. Lastly, participants will look at the continuum of fraction skills as they are developed through levels A-C and discuss what foundational skills should be mastered before students are taught operations with fractions.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Informally assess students’ understanding of fraction concepts
- Explain the value of beginning fraction instruction with benchmarks
- Add to your bank of resources to teach fractions for understanding
- Describe how fraction concepts are introduced developmentally across several levels