Hoonuit is a collection of hundreds of free video tutorials for educators, some of which might be especially handy during this period of distance learning for all. The SABES C&I PD Centers for ELA and ESOL will select and showcase a different Hoonuit tutorial each week, starting April 15th.
Please note: This course is a Blackboard course housed at Quinsigamond Community College. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Instructional and non-instructional program staff who are seeking online tools to impact student learning and further encourage digital literacy integration into classroom instruction
We will showcase one Hoonuit tutorial each week. Complete a brief knowledge check for each tutorial that you decide to engage with in order to receive PD credit.
Hoonuit is available through the Blackboard learning management system used by the ESOL and ELA SABES PD centers at QCC.
April 15: Online Tools that Support Students with Learning Disabilities (1 hour)
- In this series of short videos, learn how to use the following online tools to support the reading, writing, and organizational skills of students with learning disabilities: Speak It, Quizlet, My Study Life, and Stay Focused.
April 22: Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Chrome Extensions for the Classroom (1 hour)
- In this overview of UDL, look at optimizing the learner’s motivation to learn, options for the representation of new material, and options for students to express what they have learned.
- Be introduced to a number of extensions for Google™ Chrome that will increase productivity and/or help solve common problems in education or in everyday web browsing.
April 29: Kahoot! (1 hour)
- Kahoot allows you to gather data to inform your instruction in real time. It can be accessed from different internet-connected devices, including cell phones.
- The short videos include how to create pre-assessment, formative, and summative assessments, and how to launch a survey in class for your learners to complete on their cell phone, tablet, or computer.
And more to come...
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Identify and explain the benefits of online tools that support reading and writing.
- Explain how to integrate certain online tools into classroom instruction.