What: This brief, engaging, online, self-paced mini-course provides an overview of the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education for English Language Arts and Literacy (CCRSAE-ELA).
Why? For standards-aligned curricula and standards-aligned teaching, you need to know the standards!
Please note: This course is a Blackboard course housed at Quinsigamond Community College. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- New staff
- Anyone who needs to learn about the CCRSAE instructional shifts for ELA
- All of us, as a refresher on the instructional shifts of the CCRSAE-ELA
How: This fully online, self-paced, lightly facilitated course is composed of readings, videos, and activities, including the use of Internet resources, informal knowledge checks, and journaling.
- Offered four times in FY20
- Stays open for four weeks each time
- Take approximately four hours, working at your own pace
- Earn four PD hours by completing all activities
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Describe the origins and purposes of the CCRSAE
- Locate and navigate the CCRSAE for ELA
- Explain the importance of the three instructional shifts prompted by the CCRSAE for ELA
- Access key resources related to standards-based ELA instruction
- Incorporate basic teaching approaches that address the three instructional shifts
- There are no PD prerequisites. However, you may benefit from watching the 20 minute video introducing the CCRSAE–ELA.
- Basic familiarity with an Internet-connected computer is necessary.