In these days of COVID-19, teachers in adult education programs are finding themselves needing to teach online, perhaps for the first time. In this module from the Expanding Access Through Distance and Blended Learning series, you will learn where to find the list of state-approved curricula, how to locate and organize supplemental resources to extend learning, and what kinds of options are available for staying in communication with learners. You will also learn about types of assessment, how they support instruction and learning as well as retention, and ways to carry them out in the distance learning environment. You will engage with colleagues in a discussion forum to share ideas, and an experienced coach will help you think through questions and offer suggestions in response to your program’s specific context.
Administrators and instructors who are implementing distance and/or blended learning for the first time this year
- Those who have experience but would benefit from more formal training or want a brush-up
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
As a Massachusetts adult educator, you benefit from our state’s membership in the IDEAL Consortium, a nationally respected organization that helps member states establish quality, innovative distance programs.
Module 3: In the Class: Instruction and Assessment
- The online course will run between April 13 to April 26, 2020.We will all meet synchronously via webinar on April 27 from 10:00 a.m. -- 11:30 a.m.
- The facilitator will provide your program with up to one hour of coaching if requested.
The total time for this PD activity is approximately 6 hours, depending on your pace and style of learning, including the optional hour of coaching. We estimate the time as follows:
- Facilitated online course: approximately 5 hours
- Webinar: 1.5 hours
- Optional: up to 1 hour of coaching
- Describe reasons and options for communicating with learners online
Use considerations for selecting a curriculum and supplemental resources
Track learner progress
- Stay informed of technology innovations
Determine how to use various types of assessment by understanding how they support instruction, learning, and retention, and ways to carry out assessments in the distance and blended learning environments
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: