Vocabulary is still a major focus of learning for secondary-level readers. Learn evidence-based instructional approaches for teaching both academic (Tier 2) and content-specific (Tier 3) words to learners at GLE 9-12.
Please note: This is an online course in Blackboard that cannot be accessed from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ELA and subject-matter teachers (e.g., social studies, science, workforce prep, etc.)
- Appropriate for Corrections teachers
- Aimed at teachers and tutors of GLE 9-12; teachers of intermediate-level readers are welcome to attend as well
Explore evidence-based techniques for teaching Tier 2 (general academic) and Tier 3 (content-specific) words. The session will cover selecting words, designing explicit instruction, providing meaningful practice, and assessing learning.
See also the related webinar on May 12: Morphological Awareness
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Differentiate between Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary and the role that each plays in reading
- Select words for targeted instruction
- Implement key EBRI approaches for teaching vocabulary and assessing learning
None--To increase access to this course during COVID-19, the usual prerequisites have been waived.