This two-part workshop on Blackboard focuses on developing the academic and professional oral skills of advanced level English learners as a bridge to academic and professional reading and writing.
Please note: This course is a Blackboard course housed at Quinsigamond Community College. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
- Instructors of High-Intermediate and Advanced Adult English Learners
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
In this two-part online workshop on Blackboard, we explore how to integrate all language skills to provide rigorous, content-based lessons for advanced English learners. We consider how to implement lessons in both in-person and online instructional contexts, identifying online tools most appropriate to supporting learners’ ability to successfully meet targeted outcomes. A focus of the sessions is on building academic and professional oral language as a bridge to academic reading and writing. Participants will acquire skills for aligning a lesson’s focus and objectives to MA ELPS benchmarks.
- Promote oral language as a bridge to academic and professional reading and writing
- Identify reading skills and strategies learners need to employ based on the reading purposes/contexts
- Develop tasks and lessons that prepare learners to write for various purposes
- Select and use digital tools effectively to enhance student learning
- Explain the role metacognitive strategies play in language learning
- Prioritize MA ELPS benchmarks that align to a lesson’s objectives and focus
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: