Hoonuit is a collection of hundreds of free video tutorials for educators, some of which might be especially handy during this period of distance learning for all. The SABES C&I PD Centers for ELA and ESOL will showcase four Hoonuit tutorials over 7 weeks, each with a brief knowledge check that must be completed in order to receive PD credit:
- Online Teaching Presence Using the Community of Inquiry Model
- Tech for Students with Dyslexia
- Helping Students with Learning Disabilities Succeed in the Classroom
- Social Emotional Learning Essentials
These self-paced modules will open on specified days and remain open for one to two weeks each, ending on December 2, 2020.
- Instructional and non-instructional program staff who are seeking online tools to impact student learning and further encourage digital literacy integration into classroom instruction
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
These self-paced modules will open on the specified days and remain open for one to two weeks. Participants must complete the brief knowledge check for each module in order to receive PD hours.
October 22 (one week): Online Teaching Presence Using the Community of Inquiry Model
- What elements of instruction are you including in your online course to build a learning community? This tutorial will present three necessary areas for promoting community in an online course and tips on how to infuse them into your course. (1.5 hours)
October 29 (one week): Tech for Students with Dyslexia
- What are the common signs and symptoms of dyslexia? What are the accommodations for dyslexia? This tutorial looks at the learning disability called dyslexia and tools to support learners in remote and face-to-face classrooms who may have this disability. (1.5 hours)
November 4 (two weeks): Helping Students with Learning Disabilities Succeed in the Classroom
- What is the difference between ‘accommodations’ and ‘modifications’? How do you support learners who struggle with memory loss? What are strategies for working with learners who struggle with executive functioning? This tutorial explores the characteristics of various learning disabilities and some strategies to support learning in your classroom. (2 hours)
November 18 (two weeks): Social-Emotional Learning Essentials
- What is social-emotional learning (SEL)? What are the characteristics of effective teachers and how do those characteristics relate to social and emotional learning? What are the teaching strategies that support SEL? This tutorial provides examples of instructional strategies teachers can use to facilitate and support SEL in their classrooms. (2 hours)
Please note: Hoonuit is available through the Blackboard learning management system used at community colleges in Massachusetts. You cannot access this online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
- Identify and explain the benefits of online tools that support reading and writing
- Explain how to integrate certain online tools into classroom instruction
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: