Is your program continuing remote instruction this fall, or will you have the opportunity for blended learning? Either way, do you have a plan for how you are going to teach ELA remotely? Examine three foundational components of remote ELA instruction--Communication, Structure & Organization, and Delivery--through an online self-paced course plus two live virtual sessions, featuring Jeannine Terra (Bristol Community College) and Brooke Machado (Boston Public Schools Department of Adult Education).
- ELA teachers, tutors and volunteers
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
As MA Adult Education programs plan for the new school year, this is the time to design a comprehensive plan to support adult learners. ELA Online Instructional Strategies will examine three foundational components of remote ELA instruction: Communication, Structure & Organization, and Delivery. Participants will explore a variety of online tools with ELA instruction in mind, including Google Drive, WhatsApp, Coursesites, Capture, Google Classroom, and YouTube Videos.
There are three components to this PD offering: two live 2-hour virtual sessions via Zoom, and an online self-paced course in Blackboard, for a total of 6 PD hours.
- Blackboard self-paced course: open from 9/21 through 10/19
- Live Zoom session dealing with an overview of Communication, Structure & Organization, and Delivery: Thursday, 9/24, 1:00-3:00 PM
- Live Zoom session delving into Structure & Organization and Delivery: Tuesday, 9/29, 1:00-3:00 PM
Please note: You cannot access this course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and the Zoom sessions.
- Demonstrate at least one of the best practices presented in the course
- Describe the essential components of a communication plan with your adult learners
- Compare options for organizing online instruction with and without a learning management system (LMS)
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Gmail account, for course activities
- Comfort with using the Zoom platform, for the two live virtual sessions
- Device and web browser to access the self-paced portion of the course in Blackboard, which is best accessed via tablet, laptop, or desktop (not smart phone), within the Chrome or Firefox browsers