There are many ways advisors and coaches support students, and doing so in our current situation with limited or no in-person contact can require rethinking. Some of the major supports advisors provide include keeping in touch with students, sharing resources, referrals and materials with students, and completing education and career planning activities. This workshop will address the challenges of delivering these supports remotely by suggesting strategies and tools for online and offline remote advising.
- Advisors, teachers, and anyone interested in supporting students in reaching their educational and career goals
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
In this workshop, you will identify a specific goal you have for your remote advising related to keeping in touch with students, sharing resources and referrals, or completing education and career planning activities. With your goal in mind, you will identify a free, user-friendly online or offline tool that you plan to try. Some sample tools and strategies we will address include Zoom office hours, Calendly, Google Calendar and Drive, Weebly, newsletters, MassCIS activities, among others.
We will consider how to select tools that align with your goals and students’ goals as well as student access to digital devices and connectivity. With the support of the group, you will make a plan for implementation, and, if possible, try it out with students.
Come with practices and tools you recommend.
The total time for this PD activity is approximately 4 hours. This PD event involves three activities and all are required to complete the PD.
The course schedule is as follows:
- Participate in webinar on Wednesday, October 21st from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. (1.5 hours)
- Post your plan for using your tool to address an advising goal by Wednesday October 28th (approximately 1.5 hour)
- Participate in wrap-up webinar on Monday, November 9th from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. (1 hour)
NOTE: When registering for October 21, you will automatically be registered for November 9 th webinar.
- Identify an online or offline tool to implement a remote advising goal
- Identify strategies for implementation to achieve a remote advising goal
- Draft a plan for a project, pilot lesson or advising activity using the identified strategies and tool
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: