Communicating with your ESOL students can present a host of challenges during typical program operations. These times are far from typical, but fortunately, WhatsApp is here! WhatsApp is a versatile communication tool, ideal for ESOL remote instruction, and already familiar to many of our students. It operates on mobile phones, tablets, Macs, and PCs, and can help you and your students stay connected individually or in small group teleconferences, and share class announcements, assignments, and more.
Please note: You will access Zoom and other support materials via Blackboard. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and the Zoom session.
- ESOL teachers of any student level and with little to no knowledge of WhatsApp
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
In this “How-to” session, teachers will be introduced to WhatsApp and its many features for communicating with ESOL students as part of remote and/or blended instruction. Some of the topics to be discussed during this session include:
- how to set up a WhatsApp account
- how to create contacts and create a class group
- basic features of the app
- texting basics
- PLEASE download the WhatsApp application from the App Store or Google Play prior to the session. No further set-up is needed for your account, but please have it on your phone prior to the session. A video will be made available to walk you through the process and you may refer to this job aide as well.
- This informative and interactive session will have you using WhatsApp on your phone, in real-time with your learning, so please have your phone handy to allow for maximum participation.
- Set-up your WhatsApp account
- Create new contacts and create a group within WhatsApp
- Begin to use the basic, most commonly used features of the app
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: