Beyond sharing texts and basic communication with ESOL students, WhatsApp allows for small group video conferencing, voice recording option, and the ability to share links to assignments, videos, or other media directly through the application itself! This session will delve more deeply into those options beyond the basics.
- There are pre-requisites for this session. Please see below for details.
Please note: You will access Zoom and other support materials via Blackboard. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and the Zoom session.
- Teachers of adult ESOL learners of any level
- ESOL teachers with novice to intermediate experience using WhatsApp
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
In this 2 hour session, you will be introduced to those features within WhatsApp that go beyond the basic texting features. Using WhatsApp, you can provide voice feedback on assignments, complete an array of activities such as dictation and reading aloud, meet in small groups via the WhatsApp teleconferencing feature, and use other features that enhance remote language development. Here we will explore these options within WhatsApp that will bring your communication with students to the next level.
- Share assignments, document, and links via WhatsApp
- Create small groups for video conferencing
- Provide and receive voice messages to individuals within your WhatsApp groups
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
By registering for the WhatsApp: Beyond the Basics course, you are acknowledging an understanding of the concepts discussed in the Basics session:
- How to set up a WhatsApp account
- How to create contacts and create a class group
- Basic features of the app
- Texting basics
To ensure that we are all ready to move forward together in learning and exploring tools beyond these basic skills in WhatsApp, we ask that you please do the following after you have registered:
- Download the WhatsApp application to your phone (if you have not yet done so).
- Send a text message to your facilitator, Debbie Centamore: 1-508-848-9777.
- Send a brief voice introduction to your facilitator, Debbie Centamore: 1508-848-9777. Let her know who you are, where you’re from, and what you teach.
If any of these tasks are unfamiliar to you, we invite you to register for WhatsApp: Basic Tools and Features for a refresher. (See Calendar)