This online training provides an overview of key strategies for addressing difficulties that students with language-based learning disabilities (LBLD) often encounter with organizational and academic skills. Specifically designed for students with LBLD, these strategies have also proven helpful for ELL students and others with a variety of learning challenges.
The ELA and ESOL C&I PD Centers are delighted to re-connect with the Landmark School for students with language-based learning disabilities to bring you this excellent professional learning opportunity.
Please note: This course cannot be accessed from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
- ELA and ESOL teachers, tutors, and volunteers
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Designed to enhance direct explicit instruction of students with language-based learning disabilities (LBLD), this online professional development course introduces a selection of specific LBLD teaching strategies and materials to help adult learners gain educational success.
This course includes four sessions from 2:30-4:30 PM, plus two assignments for practicing some of the strategies. Please note that participation in all four live sessions is required:
- January 21: Overview of Language-Based Learning Disabilities
- January 28: Organizational Skills (time & materials management, planning)
- February 4: Academic Skills (reading comprehension, vocabulary development, note-taking, pre-writing, composition)
- February 11: Review of Assignments and Wrap-up
Study skills will be presented in the context of Organizational and Academic skills within the classroom.
- Describe the fundamental concepts and meaning of language-based learning disabilities
- Recognize and implement appropriate interventions for a student with organizational challenges
- Recognize and implement appropriate interventions for helping students succeed in academic areas requiring studying and writing skills
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: