The MA ESOL Professional Standards provide guidance to ESOL teachers and program directors in meeting adult English learners’ diverse needs. Originally developed in 2014, the Standards were revised in 2020 to reflect the many changes in the adult ESOL field. This virtual session is the first formal presentation of the Standards since their release earlier this month. It provides an overview and walk-through of the document, strategies for using the Standards, and a self-assessment.
Please note: You will access Zoom and other support materials via Blackboard. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College 1-2 days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and the Zoom session.
- All ESOL teachers, advisors, and program directors
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
The MA ESOL Professional Standards were revised in 2020 to reflect several changes in the adult ESOL field in recent years:
- A greater understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and culturally responsive teaching
- Research on second language acquisition, neuroscience, and evidence-based instruction
- Increased attention to WIOA mandates (e.g., workforce preparation, digital literacy, civics)
In this virtual session, the presenters will provide an overview of the Standards, highlighting the revisions. Then, participants will have an opportunity to explore the document in more depth, discuss various ways to use the Standards, and self-assess their strengths and areas in need of professional growth in regards to each of the standards.
- Name and describe each of the ESOL Professional Standards
- Explain the purpose and uses of the Standards
- Explain key revisions to the Standards
- Assess your strengths and areas in need of professional growth in regards to each of the Standards
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
Ability to participate in a virtual session on Zoom