In this four-part blended workshop, you will expand your knowledge of the MA ELPS and learn how to apply the standards to your teaching practice.
- Novice and experienced ESOL teachers and program directors who want to build confidence in using the MA ELPS to guide instructional planning and delivery
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
The MA ELPS integrate English language development and college and career readiness into one comprehensive document. In this in-depth, four-part interactive workshop, you will gain familiarity with how the MA ELPS are organized in order to easily locate the information you need; identify benchmarks that align with the goals of your students; and use the MA ELPS to help plan rigorous, relevant, and engaging ESOL lessons.
The workshop begins with a self-directed session of preliminary activities to establish foundational knowledge of the MA ELPS document. The first virtual session focuses on how to plan units and lessons so that learning objectives connect to the MA ELP standards, benchmarks, and threads. In the self-directed session that follows, you will dive deeper and explore how to integrate the MA ELPS into your planning and instruction. The final virtual session provides an opportunity for further exploration and reflection with a discussion of how to use the standards to support remote instruction.
Course opens: June 1, 2021
Independent learning session 1: June 1-June 7, 2021
Virtual facilitated session 1: June 7, 2021 3:00pm-4:30pm
Independent learning session 2: June 7- June 14, 2021
Virtual Session 2: June 14, 2021 3:00pm-4:30pm
- Locate relevant information in the MA ELPS with ease
- Identify benchmarks that promote rigor in ESOL instruction
- Align unit goals with the MA ELPS
- Use the MA ELPS to plan rigorous, relevant, and engaging ESOL lessons
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Familiarity with the MA ELPS, for example from viewing the Overview of the MA ELPS:
- Ability to participate in a Zoom meeting