Adults are more likely to learn when engaged with content that makes a connection to their lives and interests. Learn how to search through Newsela’s texts on a range of interests and lived experiences and how to use their tools to support student interaction, engagement, and choice.
- Teachers and tutors of adults reading at GLE 3–12
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
SABES and Newsela are partnering to provide five online trainings this year, supporting practitioners in using the statewide license available to ACLS-funded programs. Training #3 is Supporting Student Engagement and Guiding Inquiry with Newsela.
In this third training, explore:
- The impact of motivation on learner engagement
- Newsela’s tools and actions for supporting learner engagement, in both student view and teacher view modes
- How to use inquiry within Newsela as an instructional practice to improve learner engagement
Please note: You cannot access this online course from the SABES website.
- Locate relevant Newsela resources for supporting student engagement
- Plan to incorporate elements into your instruction such as text sets for student choice and graphic organizers for scaffolding
- Use Newsela content to generate questions
- Analyze and modify Newsela assignment instructions
- Plan for how you will introduce Newsela tools to your students to guide their own learning process.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
You must already have access to your Newsela account, which you can set up using one of these methods at newsela.com:
- Create a username and password using your agency email.
- If you have a Gmail address provided by the institution where you work, log in using your agency Gmail address.
- If you have a Microsoft address provided by the institution where you work, log in using your agency Microsoft email address.
Any program that wishes to use Newsela but has difficulty creating accounts should contact Paula Jurigian, ACLS Distance Education and Digital Literacy Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.