Effective teachers and leaders matter. No other program-based factor has as great an influence on student achievement as an effective teacher. Likewise, effective educational leaders foster the conditions that enable powerful teaching and learning to occur. Ensuring that every student is taught by effective teachers and attends an adult education program led by an effective program director is key to preparing all students for success.
Join us for a guided exploration of the newly updated ELA Proficiency Guide for Teachers of Adult Basic Education (aka ELA PG). The ELA PG is a companion to the MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Basic Education. You will learn why it is important for both teachers and directors to be familiar with this rich resource, and how both can use this ELA Proficiency Guide to support effective instruction.
- ELA instructors and program directors
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
The ELA Proficiency Guide reflects current research and understandings of what effective ABE educators know and can do related to English language arts (ELA) teaching and learning. This 2022 version follows on the substantive 2021 revision to the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Basic Education. It places a greater emphasis on concepts related to second language acquisition, culturally responsive teaching, digital literacy, and remote instruction.
ELA teachers may use this guide to:
- Self-assess and reflect on their own ELA instructional practice and skills
- Shape professional development plans and collaborations with other practitioners
- Choose from the examples for evidence-based approaches to use in their classrooms
- Target specific topics for in-depth exploration, guided by the References & Resources section
Program directors, evaluators, and lead teachers may use this document for support with:
- Hiring, supervising, and evaluating staff
- Facilitating collaborative efforts to enhance ELA instruction
- Targeting professional development activities that teachers might engage in as teams to enrich their experience and to build leadership
Join us for this guided exploration and leave with the confidence to use this rich resource.
- Identify the format and general content of the revised ELA Proficiency Guide
- Explain what is new in the revised ELA Proficiency Guide
- Learn how the ELA Proficiency Guide may be used for goal setting and professional growth
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: