For busy educational leaders, finding time to create learning opportunities for teachers and staff can be daunting. In this two-part workshop, Pesha Black, Director of Holyoke Community College’s exemplary ESOL programs, shares creative – and time-saving – strategies that support teacher growth, model effective teaching practices, and promote program improvement.
- ESOL Program Directors, Educational Leaders, and Program and Staff Development Coordinators
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
For educational leaders, creating learning spaces for teachers can be a joyful, connective act. We want to create and model the kinds of learning environments that we would like to see come alive in the classroom. At the same time, we want our teams to be aware of and involved in our program improvement efforts. Finding the time and mental space to do this in the midst of running a busy adult education program can be a challenge.
What happens when we bring our greatest strengths and creativity to bear in supporting educator growth and program improvement? We feed two birds with one scone! In this 2-part workshop, we explore three strategies from Holyoke Community College’s ESOL programs that do just that:
- Project-based learning for teachers
- Teacher learning with key DESE tools (ESOL Professional Standards and the MA ELPS)
- On-boarding for new teachers
We will then look at how to apply these, and other, strategies in your program.
In the second session, participants will explore and assess their own strengths in supporting educator growth and program improvement and will have the opportunity to work in small groups to begin a draft plan for their own program.
Total PD hours: 3
- Describe three strategies for supporting teachers’ professional growth
- Identify a strength that you bring to program and educator growth cycles, and plan to prioritize that to advance program priorities
- Be able to adapt a strategy for use in your educator growth and program development work
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
Some familiarity with the ESOL Professional Standards and the MA ELPS