This Newsela course will provide you with the opportunity to engage in reflection on aspects of your own identity and those of your students. You will explore Newsela content that reflects and provides insights into diverse experiences and identities. You will also select and curate content that connects cultures and represents diverse voices.
About this course:
- In order to attend this course, you must create a Newsela account. If you need assistance, please contact Paula.Jurigian@mass.gov.
- Once you register, we will send you a follow-up confirmation email with instructions on when and how you can access the online course.
- Please see the "Description" below for more information about how we will support this learning cohort.
The SABES Program Support PD Center (PSPDC) is collaborating with ACLS and Newsela to coordinate support for Newsela users. If you need assistance or have questions, please contact our PSPDC Liaison Kathleen O'Connell at email@example.com.
New and experienced adult education program administrators and teachers who use Newsela and would like to build their capacity to use culturally responsive resources and inclusive teaching practices
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
This PD has two components: an online course and a follow-up Sharing Group session.
Part 1: Online, Self-Paced Course (10/31–11/21)
In this Newsela course, you will begin by reflecting on issues of cultural identity. You will explore resources, tools, and strategies for using Newsela resources to inform inclusive teaching practices and integrate culturally responsive classroom activities.
It will take most people 1.5 hours to complete this course, but individual times may vary. Certificates will be available upon completion of the course. While you may access this course at any time, we encourage you to participate as part of this cohort to maximize your opportunities for shared learning.
Part 2: Sharing Group Session (11/21, 1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m.)
We encourage you to attend this optional follow-up session, which will provide you with the opportunity to collaborate with fellow Newsela users to share ideas, questions, and effective practices. PSPDC Liaison Kathleen O'Connell will facilitate this discussion.
- Develop shared understanding of culturally responsive teaching
- Explore identity and culture through reflection activities and content to establish inclusion
- Curate content to connect culture to classroom context
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
You must have a Newsela account to attend this training.